Monday, August 17, 2009

How NOT to peak in high school

Truth: It is NEVER classy to peak in high school.

So we have all been there. High school. I'm not sure what stereotype you mostly fell into but I sure know what I did. I was the "dork/nerd/geek." It's true. I wear my stereotype proudly, because in reality, it got me to where I am today.

What qualified me as a dork? No, I didn't wear pocket protectors. I was just in all advanced classes which made me "socially unacceptable." Which was fine by me. I still had a great time in high school and wouldn't change a thing. My classes came with 40 fun friends that I was able to spend all four years with. Actually, I will share a secret with you at the end. But first, you have to read this post.

Ok, so since we have all been there, you will know that every high school has them. They are known as the popular girls/mean girls/It girls. Whatever. Basically the girls that no body likes except for themselves. They, in all reality, crowned themselves popular. (I always thought popular was judged by how many friends you had. Who knew?)

Any who, for those of you not fortunate enough to get in with the chosen ones, don't fret. Because, my friends, believe me when I tell you that they peaked in high school. Those four short years were the only best years of their lives.

I will bet that 9 out of 10 golden girl gets fat, knocked up, or is still working at Tan Co. So, here is my advise to those of you going through high school (or just a fun thing to think about for those of you not fortunate enough to belong to the popular club.)

1. When you are in high school, you find the idea of drinking thrilling, rebellious and oh so cool. Now, I am not dogging alcohol, because I drank when I was in high school. However, drinking was not my life and is still not my life. Besides, binge drinking leads to beer bellies. I swear that most of the golden girls from my high school that are now slightly (when I say slightly I mean they are carrying around two extra grown people or more inside of them) overweight, gained their extra pounds by hitting the bottle a little too hard. Their sloppy love affair started early in their high school years. Do yourself a favor and truly drink in moderation. Don't let high school be the last time people remember you at your skinniest and healthiest.

2. We all know that life is full of surprises. With this being said, every child is a blessing. But do yourself a favor and keep any extra-curricular activities safe. There is nothing better than looking back on high school or the immediate years following and knowing that the homecoming queen got knocked up by her 28 year old boy friend at the time who just so happened to be married. Very classy. At the very least, if you get a little surprise of your own, don't let it stop from doing what you want to do with your life. Keep moving forward. It is best for both you and your bundle of joy.

3. Do something with your life. Go to college, trade school, or get your feet wet with some serious work. Don't be the girl that is still working at Tan Co. just for the discounts. You will end up leathery and looking back on your life with nothing to be said for it. Trust me, college is nothing like high school. I thought high school was kick ass, but college was even better!

Another piece of advice that my oh-so adorable boy friend would like to add is...
"Getting around and going to new places is fun. Ending up with a house that can do the same is NOT fun."

What I am saying is...there is nothing more gratifying than looking back and realizing that their best years are behind them and your best years are ahead of you. So, with whatever you do, always do the next thing bigger and better. AND, don't get so caught up in high school bull-shit that you get stuck there.

Ok, now feel free to laugh at my graduation picture.

Ok, as for my secret. Let me preface this with saying that I never thought any guys from my high school were interested in me. I didn't really care. Most of them were lame anyways. Since graduation, I have run into guys from high school that were outside of my social circle. On more than one occasion they have mentioned to me that they always thought I was "good looking", but felt that I was unapproachable because I was so "smart." I laugh at the thought of me being intimidating. But I'll take it for what it is.

So remember, classy chicks are like fine wine. We only get better with age.

SH







Bookmark and Share


2 comments:

  1. ahahahah great POST!
    It's amazing you peaked. It's important. You know, I have a lot friends who were high school nerds. One works in a consulate in Europe and he has a beautiful wife, a sweet ex girlfriend works in the German Parlament and now she has a wonderful and interesting fun. And my friend Lily now is an housewife, but with two fantastic beautiful and funny kids. You'll have a fantastic LIFE!!!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I didn't peak in high school either!

    ReplyDelete